Mount Morris Historical Society Walking Tour
Mount Morris is named after Robert Morris, the Financer of the American Revolution, who purchased much of the land from Phelps and Gotham and bought additional land from Ebenezer Allen. Morris was famous for being one of the cosigners of the Declaration of Independence for allocating funds to George Washington in order to purchase supplies to fight the British.
In 1818 the town of Mount Morris was officially formed. Prominant among it's first known citizens was General William A. Mills. His home, the Mills Mansion, is now owned and operated by the Mount Morris Historical Society. The historic district encompasses much of the downtown area.
The Main Street Historical District is achitecturally and historically significant. With its exceptionally intact residential neighborhoods, it illustrates the development of the villages during the nineteenth and early twentieth century. The Main Street district is one of Mount Morris' earliest residential neighborhoods.
Mount Morris continued to grow rapidly as a stop on the Genesee Valley Canal. The busy trading and manufacturing center dealt mainly with agricultural endeavors